Follow these tips to keep you, your family and those around you warm and well in extremely cold weather.
To keep warm and well during spells of cold weather:
- Draw your curtains at dusk and keep your doors closed to block out draughts.
- Have regular hot drinks and eat at least one hot meal a day if possible. Eating regularly helps keep energy levels up during winter.
- Wear several light layers of warm clothes (rather than one chunky layer).
- Keep as active in your home as possible.
- Wrap up warm and wear shoes with a good grip if you need to go outside on cold days.
- If you have reduced mobility, are 65 or over, or have a health condition such as heart or lung disease, you should heat your home to at least 18C and make sure you wear enough clothes to stay warm. It's a good idea to keep your bedroom at this temperature all night.
- If you're under 65 and healthy, you can safely have your house cooler than 18C, if you're comfortable.
For more information please follow the link: http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/winterhealth/pages/verycoldweather.aspx
Winter Warmth Leaflet: /sites/default/files/kcfinder/Winter_Warmth_leaflet_-_2013_version.pdf